10.28.2008

The True Tale of an Intern

By Amalia Queller

I love the theatre, but I hate being onstage. This led me to look for an administrative internship, so I would have the opportunity to work with the people who run the theatre. I looked through the internship guide in last fall's PxP and wrote my first resume and cover letter. Luckily, my parents gave me a hand. I sent out what felt like hundreds of emails and slowly started getting responses. The Women's Project asked me to come in for an interview and I was so nervous.

Fear, excitement and anxiety pulsed through my veins as I approached the offices. A little voice in my head told me to turn around, but luckily, I kept going because they hired me! That day began an incredible experience. I found an amazing group of people who were a fountain of information.

The first day was a mixture of intense fear of making a mistake and pure excitement. I gradually learned how things worked and got to know the people I worked with.

My intern experience showed me many of the different paths available in theatre: development, dramaturgy, artistic direction, stage management (check the glossary for definitions). I was also able to see shows for free (such as Aliens with Extraordinary Skills), meet all kinds of amazing people in the field and learn how to put on plays.

No comments: