1.12.2010

Once and For All We're Gonna Tell You Who We Are So Shut Up and Listen

by Sami Bonilla and Adina Abercrombie 

Sami: For a play with such a long name, it’s really quite simple. 

Adina: Once and for All We’re Gonna Tell You Who We Are So Shut Up and Listen is a show about rebellion and misunderstanding. It is full of energy, excitement, and even confusion. Though this show only had a few words of dialogue, it still had a lot to say about teenagers and the issues that we face as we try to figure out who we are and where we are going. This show was a chance for teenagers to speak out without interruptions.

Sami: At first, I was confused about what was going on as the actors destroyed the set by writing on the floor, throwing cups around, and more. It was a disaster! I found myself thinking that these teenagers were nothing better then a pack of animals with their boundless energy. However, even though it looked destructive, it showed something else – that you can only set boundaries after personally finding out what they are, and that’s what these teenagers were doing.

Adina: The show explained that, as teenagers, we’re often called out of control, when we are really just trying to find ourselves. Telling a teenager not to make the same mistake you did isn’t going to stop them from making that mistake because they have to experience it for themselves. Teenagers are going to bend, break and try to change rules that can’t be bent, broken or changed.

Sami: Near the end of the play, one of the female actors says that you are free to tell her what to do, like giving her a curfew, but she will always come home after it. “And I will be piss drunk,” she comments, which made me laugh. She explains that it isn’t because you tell her not to, or because you have or haven't done it, but for the simple fact that she hasn't tried it yet.

Adina: The message to teenagers is that everyone has that point when you don’t know who you are or what you want, but do what you can to figure it out. Never hold back because holding back will make that process painful.

Sami: Once and For All We're Gonna Tell You Who We Are So Shut Up and Listen is not about teenagers being destructive and wanting to do bad things, instead it shows that teenagers are not meant to be stereotyped or called ignorant. I was able to connect to them because I know how it feels to be to told, “You're just a kid so you won't understand!”

Adina: There was a character who said it was hard for her to express herself, so she writes what she thinks about people on a post-it note and sticks it to them. This is someone I relate to because often times, when asked my opinion, I find it hard to say what I am thinking out loud. However, when I have my journal, I can express myself without a problem.  I believe it comes from my fear of judgment. No one likes to be judged, so often times, we don’t share our opinions.

Sami: I kept on thinking, “I could have been in this!"

Adina: I heard one teenage girl say “I’ve done that before,” and I heard another girl say, “Maybe my mom should come see this.” Once and For All We're Gonna Tell You Who We Are So Shut Up and Listen made me think, and when a show does that, it is successful.

HOW TO SEE THE SHOW: $25 tickets • The Duke on 42nd • 229 W. 42nd • Performances: Thursday, January 14 @ 7:30pm; Friday, January 15 @ 7:30pm; Saturday, January 16 @ 2pm; Saturday, January 16 @ 7:30pm; Sunday, January 17 @ 3pm

Editor's Note: All shows are currently sold out, but don't despair! Call 646-223-3010 for tickets other people cancel, or sign up for the wait list at the theatre 1 hour before the performance.

5 comments:

Sabrina said...

This was a great dialogue!
The show sounds interesting and I agree with a lot of your comments and insight.

Alyssa said...

This seems like a very interesting play that I regret not seeing. I want to not only send my friends to see it but also my parents and siblings. Agism is definitely prevalent in our world, not just in American society, and it hinders the growth of the next generation in many ways (creatively, mentally). Like Spring Awakening, this play shows the teen side of the ongoing fight for control between adults and youth.

Nini said...

I haven't seen this show but just reading what people said about it makes me want to jump up and see it right this minute. I am a teenager as well. From what i read, i can tell that this play definately describes my life. Figuring out who you are is difficult and adults tend to forget what its like to be a teen.

Jahnesha said...

When I first read the title of the show i was like "oh boy...its another one of THOSE plays". But, after reading your review i want to see it so bad! What you said is SOOOOO true its rediculious. Life= experience. Bad experiences and good experiences and we learn from it. We learn who we are, who we want to be, what to do, and what not to do. Sometimes as teens we may do the most craziest things but its only a mistake if we dont grow from it. Parents mean well, but sometimes putting too many limitations on a child can hinder that process and prevent growth from taking place.

Zija Lubin-West said...

I loved the show so much. As I watched it, it was actually weird for me to be in the audience cause it almost looked like I was looking at a show about my life. Right when it was over I had called my best friend to tell her about what she missed out on. I was really lucky to be able to see it, and everyone that was able to see it should feel the same.

It was so different from everything else that I've seen, and it really stood out. I loved the repetitiveness, and also in a way non-repetitiveness. It takes you a second to realize the whole meaning of the play, but once you get a hold of it everything makes sense.

This article was great in grasping the essence of the show.