12.08.2009

Memphis

By Dalia Wolfson
What if...you weren’t heard?

Do you remember a time when the radio ruled and TV hadn’t taken over? No? Me, neither, but Memphis will take you back through a whirlwind of rock ‘n roll music, when waves of sound were changing the nation. Set in the 1950’s, Memphis tells the story and the song of black music making its way into the mainstream, granting its performers greater acceptance through their melodies.

The musical centers around a flabby-tongued white disc jockey who publicizes and falls in love with a black singer struggling to be heard. Throughout the streets, kitchens and radio stations of Memphis, the two lovers struggle with the identity of their relationship as it pivots between racism, career opportunities and the society at large. 

Memphis proves music to be a unifying, transcendent medium. Black music—blues on fast-forward and gospels on high intensity—is absorbed by  the white population, melting the core of racism as the purity of human sounds is heard on the radio.

Memphis evokes an era not too far away, so we can appreciate its music and reexamine our own prejudices. This musical is especially relevant for teenagers, because the show focuses on young peoples’ ability to bring about a revolution—white teenagers are seen dancing with black teenagers, ignoring their parents’ discriminatory attitudes. Memphis regards youth as a source of dynamic, positive change, and as a teenager I find this outlook inspiring and empowering.

HOW TO SEE THE SHOW: $26.50 student rush • Shubert Theatre, 225 W. 44th St.

6 comments:

Jahnesha said...

Wow...sounds kinda like HAIRSPRAY! Racism, although it has gotten alot better is still present in our society, so play about it i think definitely has the power to touch people of many generations. Its soooooo true though, music does have magical powers almost like love. Just like someone can't help but love someone you can't help it if you can't get a song out of your head! I think that comparasion represents alot when talking about this topic. It sounds like a wonderful play. I haven't gotten a chance to see it yet but i can't wait!

Anonymous said...

It does remind me a bit about Hairspray!
And they both had music bring people together.

I've heard so many good things about this show, can't wait to see it. =]

Unknown said...

I was about to mention Hairspray! haha. I loved and miss that show and would really like to see how similar or different Memphis is.

Anonymous said...

This Show was like Hairspray on Crack!!! It was so amazing. Every musical number brought the house down. The acting was amazing, the dancing was fabulous and the singing was awe inspiring. Best new show on broadway!! A great time for all!! A must see show that I believe will have a long amazing run on broadway!

Grace said...

This musical seems to be right up my alley! Throughout the ages, African Americans have made and continue to make significant contributions to music. I love the music of the '50's; this particular era, I feel, was defined by the raw and intense music produced during the time. I can't wait to see this show soon!

ben said...

I agree with previous "hunches" - I just saw the show and did find similarities with Hairspray. I can see why that other person wrote that it was like Hairspray on crack: it was Very high-energy, and the energy was certainly infectious! I really had a good time, although I wish the structure was less problematic... (like, how does the main guy change at the end?? Perhaps it just went way over my head, but I didn't understand why he all of a sudden - after Years of not doing anything - was ok with jumping onstage and having fun with the woman he couldn't have...?)
Anyway, I still agree that it's a lot of fun. (+ the actors are all Super-talented!)